Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Having the Bean at Home (Part I)

Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Mom. I've always loved kids and often felt more comfortable (and more like myself) in their company. I started babysitting young and have continued to do so (in fact, there are 2-year-old sleeping twins in the next room as I write this) throughout high school, college, graduate school, and even now. Just as I always knew I wanted to study psychology and understand people better, I've always wanted to understand children better. And to get the pleasure of seeing the world through their eyes.

Therefore, it's not at all surprising that I've quite enjoyed my countless hours of researching and reading and exploring and learning about pregnancy, labor, birth, and babies. The more educated I have become, the more confident I have become about the choices we are making for this miracle of life growing and moving and shaking in my belly. In addition, it's not at all surprising that I have become quite passionate about this new-found interest and occasionally distraught at the state of labor & delivery affairs in our country.

When I was in college, my sister-in-law had my first nephew at home (actually, at my parent's home). I admittedly thought she was a wackadoo. Then she had her two other children at home (one was even breech!) and I grew more and more comfortable with the idea. However, I never really considered that I would also be one to have a homebirth. I just didn't think it was for me.

When we found out about the babe, we met with a highly-recommended mifwifery group who deliver in the hospital. And it just didn't feel quite right. So I began researching birthing centers and discovered that we don't have that option in always-so-progressive Chicago. This past summer we visited with my sister-in-law and kiddos and something just sort of clicked and I thought why not!? I knew Fiji would be thrilled that I was even considering it--it's like his dream-come-true. And therefore I set out on the journey to find a midwife to deliver our baby bean at home.

One thing I want to make notably clear: I most definitely do not think that all families should have homebirths--not AT ALL. Each family must make the choice that is right for them and figure out where THEY feel most comfortable. But I do hope that as more and more families are choosing homebirth, that others will have a better understanding about the reasons behind it. People seem to judge--one way or another--I'm certainly guilty. But I want to judge less and accept more. I think the part that frustrates me the most is the lack of knowledge or understanding that there is more than one way to healthily and successfully birth a child.

(I'm not sure if anyone is going to find this interesting, but I wanted to have a record of our decision-making process for us and for beaner--because obvi the babe's going to CARE. )

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited about labour too! I really believe our bodies and babies know what to do, although I do agree with you that it's not for everyone and everyone has the right to make their own decision. Thanks for the lovely comments, I was shocked to go to the Marvelous Kiddo blog today and see my bump on it! It made my day :) Best of luck with everything, not too long now!

    ReplyDelete